A friend of mine asked me to design a menu for his cousin’s sweet 16 birthday party. I created a flower to use as a graphic for the menu. These are attempts to create some Lorna Alkana Art with the single flower. Roll you mouse over the images to read descriptions of the images. I’d love to hear which ones you prefer.
I like 3, 6, and 11.
The flower is a liberty hyde bailey asiatic lyli.
1. Original flower and stem – I used this image as the graphic for the menu’s design
2. Original flower and stem (same as 1), with yellow and green gradient background
3. Multiple flowers in various sizes and opacities, full
4. Multiple flowers in various sizes and opacities (same as 3) with fewer layers
5. Multiple flowers to create main flower, mixed hue/saturation for specific layers
6. Same as five with fewer layers
7. Same as 6 with fewer layers and white background
8. Basic flower shapes, mirrored, full page
9. Basic flower shapes, mirrored, less contrast
10. Same as 9, white background
11.Same as 9 and 10, with transparent reflection
My like button’s not working, but I think these are great.
Thanks, Richard! Yeah, for some reason this didn’t show up in the general feeds, either. Humph. I’m glad you could check it out, though!
I like the second and third ones the best. Perhaps it’s because to me they represent the extremes of representation. The second looks most like an illustration of a flower and the in third the flower is no longer discernible at all. Nine and ten would work well as a sort of motif. These are all very lovely.
Thank you so much for the feedback! So much of art is making decisions, so I am happy to have this venue where I can show more than one version of something. Cheers!
I vote for #7. There is enough visual complexity to make it compelling, but it doesn’t make your eyes swim with it. And I just like it better than the other options.
Nice! Thanks for your feedback! Number 7 is def still complicated, but the white makes it a little more relaxed.
I would have chosen the same as you did – No 1. Does this show mutual good taste? I wonder. But it is lovely, deceptively simple, and would be excellent for a menu design. Interesting because my own pictures tend to be so complex. But you can never tell with art what will turn people on. Cheers, Tony
Really interesting. Are you willing to share how you go about this?
I am absolutely willing to show how I go about this. The process is part of my blog. I tried to show some of the steps here. What in particular are you curious about? Thanks for checking it out!
Thanks for checking it out! Definitely a sign of mutual good taste.
Actually, I’m ignorant from start to finish. I assume you have digitally ‘drawn’ the initial image – ? In what program. What program do you use to play with it the way you have, the layering and taking multiple images to create the single flower?